Name: Halabasappa Sangayya
Age: 62 yrs/ Male
Address: Kalwadi, Bijapur District, Karnataka State, India
- Recurrent episodes of high fever since 3 years.
- Accompanied by: Rigors, Sweating, Fatigue, Dizziness, Light-headedness, Malaise.
History of presenting illness:
Patient was apparently alright 3 years back after which he developed recurrent episodes of high fever which was acute in onset. The fever was of relapsing type (temperature returns to normal days before rising again) & each episode of fever lasted for about 2-3 days. Fever was accompanied by rigors, sweating, malaise, fatigue, dizziness, & light-headedness. For these complaints he had visited a local doctor and was prescribed paracetamol and antibiotics. But the episodes of high fever with accompanying symptoms kept occuring roughly 3-4 times a year & each episode would last for about 2 to 3 days.
Negative history to rule out Tuberculosis:
- No history of anorexia.
- No history of weight loss
- No history of respiratory infections like sinusitis, tonsillitis, otitis media, pharyngitis).
- No history of cough.
No previous history of similar illness.
No history of surgical operations in the past.
No previous history of blood transfusion.
No history of allergies.
No history of similar complaints in the family.
No family history of lymphoproliferative diseases.
No family history of cancer.
Paracetamol and antibiotics given by a local doctor.
No other drug history.
Differential diagnosis based on history:
- Brucellosis: Can cause fever, chills, fatigue, weakness, backache, & myalgia. Also causes Hepatospleenomagaly, lymphadenopathy, arthritis, bursitis, sarcoilitis.
- HIV: Can cause unexplained persistent fever.
- Pyogenic infection